Wednesday, June 16, 2010 12:58 PM,

I've been thinking a lot lately about the difference between standards and expectations. In my mind one of them has a good connotation and the other a bad connotation. SO which one is good? I guess to me when I think of standards I think of your values, and your character. It's what sets you apart, and give you drive and passion in life. While expectations can be irrational and illogical. They are based off of past hurts. When someone hurts you then you decided that no one else will get a chance to do that, so you set these incredibly high expectations that no one could possibly reach, therefore pushing everyone away from you. It's dangerous and a sad place to be.

SO what are my standards? well. Let's just focus on a specific thing or person. For example, the standards I have for my husband. He has to absolutely in love with God. Ok, now an expectation would be "He has to be so in love with the Lord that he reads his Bible every morning and every night and takes notes in a special journal..." blah blah blah. Every person is different. How can you possibly hold someone to such an expectation? It's a generality that isn't gonna work out too well when put to the test, because I can tell you that there are some very on fire for God guys who don't do that.

I guess this has just been on my mind for a long time. I hope that I can have high standards, yet reasonable expectations. I hope that they line up with what God wants, and not just some lofty thought that would be "ideal" yet could never happen in reality. On the other hand, I hope my expectations aren't so low that I settle for anything. It's such a fine line. Such a perfect balance to be reached, and it seems practically impossible to get there. Like some far off hope that is completely unattainable. But guess what? It's absolutely attainable, in fact you should be so certain that it is. You know how you get to that certainty? You want to know the key?

FAITH.
post a comment (0)
back to top?
a skin by leen 12
info
an overpouring of my heart <3

layout made by leen.
resources are from swimchick.net and ~C130 at deviantart.com


{older posts / recent posts}